As you read in my first post, dramatic changes have taken
place in my life over the past year. Some great and some not so great but I've
come to a place where all of those changes are appreciated. I'd made the
decision some time ago to embark on a new life with a completely renewed spirit
and a refreshed outlook on the course I'm on. Since having what I considered to
be an epiphany, I decided a complete life change was going to be my next step.
I’d made up my mind some time ago that 2012 was going to be MY YEAR; forget the
year of the dragon, it has since been renamed the year of Shoma. This year was
going to be a year of prosperity, a year of new experiences, and a year that
would ultimately be the beginning of the rest of my life. I’d made up my mind
that in 2012, I was going to increase my fierceness tenfold. My off the
hook-ness (not a real word) was about to be off the charts. As I sat on my bed
making my list of to-do's for 2012, I was elated, beyond hype, that is until I
realized getting to extra fierce-ville with a cherry on top would not be an
easy feat. This would take a change in diet, the addition of exercise and sheer
willpower. Now the change in diet would
be a breeze since I’m already a pretty healthy eater. You see, I’ve been a
vegetarian for almost twelve years and I
try to eat organic and natural whenever and wherever possible, though pizza
will be the end of me I swear…Can we say kryptonite? The occasional cookie,
well the not so occasional since I learned to make them from scratch (move over
Emeril…BAMMMMM) has got me looking a little round around the middle lately, but
nothing a few crunches won’t fix, if I ever manage to do a few
crunches. Exercise is not my friend. As a matter of fact, it’s the devil and I’ve
come to exorcise it…Repent, Repent, hgtvscatsanddogsnfht(that’s me speaking in tongues) Hehehe!
See, me and exercise have a long history that’s turned our union
into a love/hate relationship. I’ve tried to love it but it just won’t let me.
I’ve stressed over it, tried to massage it and fix it a nice romantic dinner
but still no reciprocity. What gives? I always thought if I showed it I liked
it, even though that’s not the truth, it would love me back. Then I had that
ahhhaa moment (don’t sue me Oprah, I don’t have any money) that a certain talk
show host, who shall remain nameless, used to talk about on her weekday show at
4pm on WABC channel 7. I realized that exercise knows when you aren’t truly committed
and gives you the half-assness (I swear this is a word…trust me) that you’ve
been giving it. Let’s say for instance you walk into a certain gym that shall also
remain nameless (because I’m poor and don’t want to be sued) on a Monday and
saw several pizza pies and decided to eat a few slices even though you knew it’d
be hell to burn of those calories, what do you think your fitness routine will
do to you in return? It will become spiteful and grudge filled; it will decide to
teach you a lesson about half-assness by giving you half-ass results when you
weigh in. Now had you made the decision to bypass the pizza party at this “unknown”
gym, your body would’ve thanked you and your fitness routine would’ve rewarded
you by giving you the very thing you desire most, complete and utter off the
hook-ness (this is seriously a real word). Now I’m the last person to give advice on
exercise because of our rocky history. Close your eyes, relax and allow me to take you on a journey to yester-year (you better keep them open, how else will you read this?).
There was a time when a few flights of stairs would’ve finished me and running a block would have elicited hyperventilation, asthma, emphysema, or some kind of breathing problem…I told you before I’m a Leo and we're prone to be melodramatic. But seriously, I was a mess. My good girlfriend Kimmy used to attempt, and I do say attempt, to get me in shape. Now Kimmy and I are about the same size except that I just look fit while she truly is in shape since being slim or skinny doesn’t guarantee a high level of fitness. Kimmy would laugh me to the ground as I attempted to conquer seven flights of stairs in our work building; I know you’re thinking seven flights? Yeasss boo, hunny child, sweetie pie, darling and any term of endearment you can think of. Seven flights! But these weren’t regular flights, these flights were the brainchild of the devil; that’s right, Lucifer himself was the architect. Those damn stairs nearly killed me, they sure did, Mmm hmmm. Kimmy would take those stairs two at a time like an Olympic athlete, while I sagged and dragged behind wheezing and on the verge of passing out. Many times while taking those stairs instead of the elevator, I thought about writing my will and making a DNR. I was planning on leaving my track shoes to Kimmy so that she would remember she contributed to my death by forcing me to take the stairs. Thank God that wasn’t necessary and in fact, I have Kimmy to thank for motivating me even when I wanted to give up; now, she half motivated me and half laughed me to embarrassment but it was done out of love and I truly appreciated it.
Shoot, if she could see me now... I’m motivated, dedicated and convinced that I’ll be the next Olympic track star, Usain Bolt who? Never heard of him…Okay, that just me jesting but I’m getting fit, I swear I am, really, pinky swear. Being small or thin does not equate to optimal health and fitness so that shouldn’t be the goal. Being the best and healthiest you possible should be your first and only fitness goal. Whatever size you are and your ideal weight should not be based solely on a number. Instead, the question you need to ask yourself and answer is, what is a realistic goal for optimal health? Is it realistic to expect to be a size zero when the body you were blessed with wasn't intended to be so? No! Be a healthy you at whatever size your healthiest and ideal weight is, whether that's a size 2 or size 22 (sexy doesn't only frequent single digit sizes). Figure out what works for you and please do not underestimate the importance of a healthy diet, trust me I know. Now I’m not ready to do P90X or run any marathons, but I’ve made it a priority in hope that it will become second nature, to get out and walk when I can, to get fit and stay fit, and to take the stairs instead of the elevator when and where able to. Exercise won't give you any free passes, you have to earn it. I don't know about you but chiiiilllllle, I have to get to extra-fierce ville on the corner of off the hook-ness and super cute...I hope I’ll see you there.
There was a time when a few flights of stairs would’ve finished me and running a block would have elicited hyperventilation, asthma, emphysema, or some kind of breathing problem…I told you before I’m a Leo and we're prone to be melodramatic. But seriously, I was a mess. My good girlfriend Kimmy used to attempt, and I do say attempt, to get me in shape. Now Kimmy and I are about the same size except that I just look fit while she truly is in shape since being slim or skinny doesn’t guarantee a high level of fitness. Kimmy would laugh me to the ground as I attempted to conquer seven flights of stairs in our work building; I know you’re thinking seven flights? Yeasss boo, hunny child, sweetie pie, darling and any term of endearment you can think of. Seven flights! But these weren’t regular flights, these flights were the brainchild of the devil; that’s right, Lucifer himself was the architect. Those damn stairs nearly killed me, they sure did, Mmm hmmm. Kimmy would take those stairs two at a time like an Olympic athlete, while I sagged and dragged behind wheezing and on the verge of passing out. Many times while taking those stairs instead of the elevator, I thought about writing my will and making a DNR. I was planning on leaving my track shoes to Kimmy so that she would remember she contributed to my death by forcing me to take the stairs. Thank God that wasn’t necessary and in fact, I have Kimmy to thank for motivating me even when I wanted to give up; now, she half motivated me and half laughed me to embarrassment but it was done out of love and I truly appreciated it.
Shoot, if she could see me now... I’m motivated, dedicated and convinced that I’ll be the next Olympic track star, Usain Bolt who? Never heard of him…Okay, that just me jesting but I’m getting fit, I swear I am, really, pinky swear. Being small or thin does not equate to optimal health and fitness so that shouldn’t be the goal. Being the best and healthiest you possible should be your first and only fitness goal. Whatever size you are and your ideal weight should not be based solely on a number. Instead, the question you need to ask yourself and answer is, what is a realistic goal for optimal health? Is it realistic to expect to be a size zero when the body you were blessed with wasn't intended to be so? No! Be a healthy you at whatever size your healthiest and ideal weight is, whether that's a size 2 or size 22 (sexy doesn't only frequent single digit sizes). Figure out what works for you and please do not underestimate the importance of a healthy diet, trust me I know. Now I’m not ready to do P90X or run any marathons, but I’ve made it a priority in hope that it will become second nature, to get out and walk when I can, to get fit and stay fit, and to take the stairs instead of the elevator when and where able to. Exercise won't give you any free passes, you have to earn it. I don't know about you but chiiiilllllle, I have to get to extra-fierce ville on the corner of off the hook-ness and super cute...I hope I’ll see you there.
Signed Your Conscience...
LMRBAO(laughing my royal broke *** off)...HAHAHAHAA, just too real!...First off let me tell you that I didn't read this blog, I listened to you tell it ~_*! I had to call my sis in to read it to her, cause just a few days ago we were talking about exercise and I related the stories of climbing the stairs at a certain college in Manhattan with a certain darling, lol...So loved this!...
ReplyDelete"The year of Shoma", "off the hook-ness" Loooooool... Luv it.
ReplyDeleteLadycandid, I'm so happy that you remember attempting to murder me and leave my mother daughter-less. Hehehehe, Thank you so much for taking the time out to read,comment and even share my baby. In life there are so many forgettable experiences and this "my dear" wasn't one of them. XOXO
ReplyDeleteKerry, the fact that you found this entertaining is a major compliment to me since you're one of the funniest people I know. Let's keep our fingers crossed that humor can be found in my current and future posts. I can't wait for our collaboration...sickening!
ReplyDeleteThis is ver inspiring, I am glad your mind has shifted for betterment. Remember to always look forward- never compare yourself with others, always compare yourself with the person you use to be.
ReplyDelete